Sherrie's Reviews > The Road

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Jul 17, 07

bookshelves: myfavorites, 2006booklist
Read in November, 2006

One of my favorites of 2006, if not THE favorite…it’s a tie between A Brief History of the Dead. Wow, I really have no words for this book. It was beautifully written and was one of 2 books that made me cry. I read the last few pages over and over again. From Amazon: Cormac McCarthy sets his new novel, The Road, in a post-apocalyptic blight of gray skies that drizzle ash, a world in which all matter of wildlife is extinct, starvation is not only prevalent but nearly all-encompassing.
It’s so much more than that. It’s a story of love, compassion and triumph. While you never learn the names of the 2 major characters (a father and his son) it doesn’t matter. Names are unimportant. The relationship of these two is so integral to their survival and to the hope they continue to have even in the most horrendous circumstances. How did the world end? Was it a nuclear bomb? Was it a meteor? Who knows, it doesn’t matter. All that matters is food/fire and water. When the father finds a source of clean, fresh water, the writing is exquisite. You can TASTE the water. The purity of it. Amazing…AMAZING. You care so deeply about these two individuals. The ending is written just so and the exchange between father and son is so deeply moving, I dare you not to cry. Unbelievable. And it taught me something. Always travel with a can opener. Book #54 of my 2006 Book List, finished reading it on 11-13-06.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road.