Benoit Lelievre's Reviews > Dust Devils

Dust Devils by Roger  Smith

May 02, 12

Read from April 25 to May 02, 2012

You have to understand two things to fully enjoy this novel. First, it's a very angry political novel, so the purpose is bigger than the story and you have to stop sometimes to let the horror seep in. Two, while Roger Smith is a decent writer, where he truly leaves everybody behind is as a storyteller. He will constantly mess with your expectations, but will articule a story of a spectacular scope without ever betraying your trust. Dust Devils is a noir novel as fine as anything ever written in the genre.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dust Devils.

04/29/2012
4.0% "Just a few pages in but I'm already getting a crazy sense of story engineering out of it. There have been many twists already, but they're so well thought and organized, they made me genuinelly jump up."
04/30/2012
23.0% "Burning, angry political novel. I love that philosophy. You hate something? Set it on fire in a novel!"
05/01/2012
43.0% "I really like how this novel doesn't shy away from its political agenda without sacrificing anything. It's a mean, mean South Africa 101."
05/02/2012
69.0% "Everything you wanted to know about spending your vacation in South Africa, but were afraid to ask. Very entertained and slightly disturbed."
show 1 hidden update…