Margit Sage's Reviews > Cerulean Sins

Cerulean Sins by Laurell K. Hamilton

Mar 17, 13

bookshelves: humorous, urban-fantasy, 1st-person-pov, horror, kick-ass-heroine, romance, shifters, vampires, magic-sorcery-witches, mystery
Recommended for: People who like to be scared (and who have read the other books).
Read from April 30 to May 05, 2012

The romance is getting a bit out of hand in this series, but I still really like the way Hamilton writes horror, especially dream sequences--they're so vivid and evocative, I can picture myself in Anita's shoes, running in fear, and it's great.

There's something about the sensual, vivid nature of Hamilton's horror descriptions that I just love. It reminds me of certain key moments (the highlights) of H. P. Lovecraft's stories. When I write horror, I want into be evocative (and scary) in this way. I think the key element is to include sensual details: smells, sounds, tactile sensations, tastes, in addition to vivid descriptions of sights.

So, although I could do without Anita's romance issues--I think the series would be much better if she only had one or two love interests, instead of an entire harem of men--I'll keep reading a book every now and then, to get a dose of Hamilton's evocative horror, the kind that sends chills up your spine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cerulean Sins.

04/30/2012 page 28
5.0% ""Those round, rolling eyes stared at me, then his sunken nose caught the scent of blood, and he grabbed my hand with both of his, and lowered his mouth to the wound. His hands felt like cold wax with sticks inside. His mouth was almost lipless, so his teeth pressed close in my flesh as he sucked at my hand. His tongue whipped back and forth on the wound like something separate and alive in his mouth, feeding from me."