Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)'s Reviews > On the Prowl

On the Prowl by Christine Warren

Apr 28, 2012

bookshelves: arc, books-i-own, pnr, read-in-2012, review-requests, shifters, assholes
Read in April, 2012

Posted on Under the Covers

Brought together by their power-seeking families, Saskia Arcos and Nicolas Preda are now married, but won’t be considered fully mated until Saskia becomes pregnant with Nic’s cub. As fierce members of the Tiguri – the incredible shapeshifting weretiger community – they are put under the spotlight because of their status in the community and Nic’s place as CEO of one of the top corporations in Manhattan.

Saskia and Nicolas are an interesting couple, to say the least. Saskia is a woman who is used to having things taken care of for her. This makes her the perfect match for someone who enjoys control as much as Nicolas. I would say their dynamic is most similar to a Dom/sub relationship. Saskia shows signs of a submissive personality while Nicolas loves to give out orders and expects them to be followed through. Some would consider Nic to be a jerk, but for me, he didn’t come off as too demanding. He is a man who knows what he wants and I thought that Saskia stood up to him well.

I was very impressed by Warren’s writing style. I read this book in one sitting and I think that is a result of Warren’s incredible ability to write so freely and pace her work evenly. Warren also does a fantastic job of giving readers a chance to understand both sides of a scene from the hero and heroine. She does this often and thoroughly and I think that’s the number one reason why I enjoyed these characters so much. Nic can do or say something that is completely off-putting , but then readers get his POV of the scene and we understand how out of control he feels whenever he is around Saskia. He isn’t perfect at all, but he acknowledges his mistakes when he does make them.

While I feel that the emphasis was placed more so on the romance, there is also a pleasant suspense side plot with a crime that is pointing all the blame to Nic. I don’t think this aspect of the book was explored as much as I would have liked, however I did feel like it was resolved well.

For readers who liked a dominant alpha hero and enjoy reading smoking hot sex scenes, then this book will definitely be to your liking. As my first Christine Warren book that I have enjoyed, I can say that it won’t be my last if more of the Others are like Nic. He is definitely delicious. Come on, go on and take a bite!

*Review copy provided by publisher
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Prowl.

04/26/2012 page 104