Swankivy's Reviews > The Adventures of Pippi Longstocking

The Adventures of Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren

Feb 11, 14

Read in January, 1984

When I was itty-bitty I loved having my mom read these stories to me before bed. The chapters are very episodic, so they lend themselves well to such things, and Pippi is a wacky character who is hard to figure out sometimes. I mean, sometimes she really is lying about things, and other times her totally wild tales SOUND like lies but they're the truth. She has a very unusual lifestyle in that she takes care of herself despite being a child. I have found in mentioning Pippi to others that it's often the case that they don't know there's more to the character than just wearing funny socks and being wacky; she's an unusually strong little girl whose physical abilities really don't have an explanation, and you find yourself enjoying her antics and not really caring why she's some randomly strong little girl. Her neighbors, Tommy and Annika, enjoy having fun with her even as they play the "straight" characters to Pippi's zaniness. There might be some possibility of kids getting strange ideas about proper behavior from these books, but there's nothing morally unsound or dangerous or scary about them. I recommend this book for kidlets.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adventures of Pippi Longstocking.