Casey's Reviews > The Art of Fielding

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach

May 09, 12

Read from April 25 to May 07, 2012

I didn't really have any idea what to expect from this book, but Wow. I really liked this book. It was long, but didn't seem that long. The story was a little 'unbelievable' (for lack of a better word) but hey, it's fiction. I liked the characters, all simple and complicated at the same time.
I read the paperback version, and was more then a little puzzled that on the back cover all of the 'reviews' were by men. But whatever. I can't say that it was a 'baseball book' although baseball is the glue that held the story together for me. Henry, Schwartz and Owen would have made a good story but to put Pella, a lost soul of sorts, in the middle of the 'action' was a really wise move, she gives the story a whole other dimention. I liked that. I liked/disliked all of the characters at some point, and sometimes just wanted to slap them silly or just given them a good shake.
I don't want to give away the plot, mainly I dislike reviews that just say what happens - reminds me of a fourth grade book report - but I guess I would have to say, that for me it was about baseball/boys & girl & boy (man)/ father & daughter/ friends & lovers/ and sadness. But about standing by your feelings and being true to yourself, whoever that might be and growing up and beyond. Curious enough? I liked it, although I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Fielding.