Michael's Reviews > Gone Girl

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

2065514
Apr 29, 12

bookshelves: 110-books-in-2012-and-do-it-again, family-relationships, read-in-2012, reader-s-club-review-request, reviewed, second-chance
Read from April 25 to 28, 2012

In this powerful novel, Gillian Flynn tells of a marriage breakdown.

The story begins with Nick Dunne and his wife, Amy, in Brooklyn, N.Y. They are newly married and seem happy. Then their jobs are lost when magazines begin eliminating jobs with the economic downturn.

Nick gets a message from his twin sister, Margo. She's back in Missouri caring for their ailing parents. Nick decides to move back to Missouri so he can help his sister and he opens a bar in the town. Amy is against this move but reluctantly agrees.

In alternating chapters we read from Amy's diary where she begins to feel their relationship deterating and that she's not getting what she wants from the marriage. Then in the next alternating chapter, we learn that Amy disappeared on their fifth anniversary and what is going on with the search for her.

Nick's story begins to break down as police and media look into the facts around their lives and Amy's disappearance. The author does a good job with suspense as Nick makes certain discoveries in the second half of the book and the reader lears that much of what went on in the first part of the book wasn't true.

A well done psychological novel the shows both parties at fault in the breakdown of the marriage and the suprising consequences.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone Girl.

Sharon Can't wait to read your review of this one. I like Gillian Flynn and I've heard good things about this book.