Rochelle's Reviews > Bound

Bound by Sally Cabot Gunning

Apr 25, 12

Read in April, 2012

I really enjoyed this book and read it very quickly. I feel like the characters were well developed and I really liked them all. I got a little frustrated with Alice at times when it seemed she was incapable of making the right choice. There were so many times that I just wanted to reach into the book and shake some sense into her. She was lucky to have such generous, good people help her out, even after she basically betrayed their trust. I tried to remember that she was a 15 year old girl in a very terrible position in a time when such a position meant something completely different than it means today, but I still couldn't figure out why she didn't realize that she could trust the widow and Mr. Freeman. I also felt so bad for poor Nate! Yes, Alice had a hard time trusting males, but he had never shown anything but respect and awe for her. Poor guy. I was kind of disappointed with the ending because I prefer everything tied up in a nice bow, but it wasn't a bad ending and gives you hope for good futures for all of the main characters.

This is the first novel I've read by Sally Gunning, but I'm excited to give her others a read as well.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bound.

message 1: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Looks like a good book. A comment I read about it said it was the 2nd of 3 in a series. But I couldn't find anything to back that up so maybe it isn't true.

Was it pretty clean? I'm always curious about that.

Rochelle If it is the 2nd of a series then I am unaware of the other books. I read this for my book club and there was no mention of a series from anyone. It is very clean considering the subject matter. I really think you'd like it.

Rochelle Just found out that while Bound is not part of a series, it does kind of go with another book called the widows war, because it contains some of the same characters.