Tiffany's Reviews > True

True by Katherine Hannigan

Apr 27, 12

bookshelves: books-for-kids

I love the voice that Katherine Hannigan can give to her characters and Delly is no different. You can picture her and hear her as she goes about her daily Delly adventures. There is a lot to love about Delly.

Things I love about Delly:
-She is adventurous with words- she makes up words as she sees fit (all of which are defined in the Dellyictionary in the back of the book)
-At the core of her, she loves experiencing life.
-She has empathy and compassion, which she expresses in respectful ways that allow others to keep their dignity.
-She is a mama's girl.
-She is loyal and will stand up for those she loves.
-She isn't worried about what people think about her.
-She is a fighter. At first, this isn't a good, positive quality- but the passion that her fight comes from is channeled in other directions.

At the heart of the story is one girl who is struggling with her perspective of herself. She loves life but is told she is bad. She has heard it so much, she begins beliving it. (What a powerful reminder about the impact our words have.) There is the boy who loves his sister fiercely despite her reputation. He doesn't give up on her and loves her in a way that reaches the best of her. And then there is the girl who has been so hurt, in ways that we will never know, but her silence, her fear, and her struggle to connect are the faces of many young ones in horrible situations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read True.