Ellen's Reviews > The Prophet of Yonwood

The Prophet of Yonwood by Jeanne DuPrau

Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: 2012, child-ya, sci-fi-fantasy
Read from April 28 to 30, 2012

So far, my least favorite book in the series. I enjoyed The City of Ember and The People of Sparks much more. Still, this prequel did hold my interest enough. The Prophet of Yonwood details the period of time about 50 years before The City of Ember was founded by The Builders. At the very end the book fast forwards those 50 years in a very brief way that leaves the reader with many questions. I want to know exactly what happened between the Phalanx Nations and the U.S. I want to know what year is it supposed to be 50 years before Ember was finished. I know it's the future of 2012 but how far into the future is hard to tell. I want to know if The Prophet is really a prophet or did she suffer a stroke. I also found some of the happenings in Yonwood to be a bit unbelievable. Yes, somehow I have no trouble suspending reality about cities built underground and continuing for over 250 years but I have trouble doing so in regards to a whole town following what appear to be the mad ramblings of a sick woman "translated" by a neurotic friend. Ah, well. Here's hoping Book 4 (The Diamond of Darkhold), the last in the series, is better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prophet of Yonwood.