Victoria's Reviews > Cinderella, Vol. 2: Fables are Forever

Cinderella, Vol. 2 by Chris Roberson

Aug 14, 13

bookshelves: comics-graphic-novels, fairytale
Read in April, 2012

I may have read this already through a negative light, since I happened to read Pat Rothfuss's review before my copy came in. Still, I was really underwhelmed by this one, which saddens me because I really enjoyed the previous book, From Fabletown with Love. This repeatedly used too many of the same tropes within one graphic novel. For instance, Cinderella reiterates certain lines over and over again. These lines are not only cliche, however, but they become even more so when the same character utters them each time. Maybe the repetition was an artistic choice, but it came across as sloppy writing. I also didn't like the art as much in this one. Cinderella's face looked scrunchy and really unattractive in some of the panels. The rest of the time it seemed like she was naked or in a bikini. Finally, the way the plot jumped around in time was really irritating.

I'm honestly a little sad I bought this one, although I guess it completes the rest of my Fables collection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinderella, Vol. 2.

Comments (showing 1-11)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Louise I felt the same even before I saw anyone else's reviews. Pretty dissapointed I shelled out good money for this too.

Victoria Glad I'm not the only one!

Louise Not at all. I loved Cinderella in the main comics and enjoyed 'From Fabletown with Love' but I'm now thinking that I might just stick with Fables and cancel my pre-order of Fairest until I've had a chance to flick through it in a shop first.

Victoria Louise wrote: "Not at all. I loved Cinderella in the main comics and enjoyed 'From Fabletown with Love' but I'm now thinking that I might just stick with Fables and cancel my pre-order of Fairest until I've had a..."

Oh please don't let this deter you from Fairest! I am loving Fairest so far. I won't claim it's -as- good as Fables, but as you might understand that doesn't mean it's not good. I've enjoyed all of the Fables subplots, even Jack of Fables (although I had qualms with it). It's just this book that really didn't live up to the standard, in my opinion.

Louise Oh I definitely want to read it, it's just wether I buy a copy or borrow it. I bought the first two volumes of Jack of Fables and just couldn't get into them enough to carry on, but at the same time the girls in Fairest interest me far more as characters than Jack ever did and it sounds to be more tied with Fables proper...
Hmmmm...dilema. At least I still have a few months before the first volume comes out in tradeback. I think despite my Cinderella misgivings I probably will buy it anyway. If only just because I hate feeling like I have an incomplete set sitting on my shelf but also cause I'm really really curious about Briar Rose.

[Name Redacted By Goodreads Because Irrelevant to Review] I'm pretty sure the fact that Roberson, rather than Willingham, wrote this story is why it feels so lifeless.

message 5: by Victoria (last edited Jul 16, 2012 09:07AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Victoria I completely agree Ian (and he's moved on from Vertigo now), but he also wrote the first Cinderella stand-alone, From Fabletown with Love, to my understanding, and it was much better than this.

[Name Redacted By Goodreads Because Irrelevant to Review] I'm still personally offended by the fact that they recycled a previously-published Fables issue to pad out this book.

Victoria I forgot to even mention that! I agree. It didn't bother me extremely, I guess, but I was a little perplexed as to why it was there. I assumed they were trying to lure in new Fables fans.

[Name Redacted By Goodreads Because Irrelevant to Review] I suppose I'm naturally more cynical about that sort of thing. Shame on me!

Victoria Not necessarily. I'm a bit inclined to agree with you, or perhaps we could say it likely fulfilled a variety of functions, now that you have brought it to my attention.