Jamie's Reviews > The Black Cat

The Black Cat by Edgar Allan Poe

Apr 25, 12

Read in April, 2012

Read this in class today, and after thoroughly analyzing this shiz (as we usually do), I think it's safe to say that The Black Cat is probably my favorite story by Mr Poe to-date. It was definitely a character-driven story, a first-person narrative in which you cannot trust the narrator at all. Super creepy - like Poe's stories usually are - and for some reason as I was reading along, I kept on thinking about what Poe infamously said... how he

" became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. "

That quote is probably one of my all-time favs, and I liked how the reader can kind of see that happen to the narrator/main character of The Black Cat. I also loved how intense and raw the writing was, and, from what I read, the story was truly disturbing.

I've always been interested in reading about the human-psyche - about how and what exactly drives us to do the things we do - which is probably why Poe's stories have been so intriguing to me as of late. Here, you can see how Mr Poe is able to tackle the complexity of Humanity (in a twisted, sort of way), which, in my opinion, he has done quite successfully with this particular story.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Cat.