Gabriel's Reviews > Bondage

Bondage by Chris Owen

Chris Owen's Deviations Series was my introduction to the world of M/M BDSM. Truthfully, I wouldn't have had it any other way. Because I absolutely adored the first three books. I loved the emotional ride and I loved getting to know Noah and Tobias.

But this book?

This book was one big disappointment for me, I can honestly say as much.
I wanted to give it two stars, because Chris Owen and Jodi Payne have such an amazing writing style and bring life to their characters through their words - and because Noah is still amazingly adorable and strong. But, I couldn't. I couldn't give it more than one, because in my eyes, the twist and turns that were taken were uncalled for and completely unnessecary.

I had to try at least 4 times before I finally got this book finished and I can honestly say that I can't even remember half of it, because it disappointed me so much when I read it.

I like Noah and Tobias, I really do, and I like the relationship they have with each other and how they make things work out. I loved their vacation in France and how they throughout all three earlier books continued on and continued to evolve and try their bondaries all the time. Pushing themselves more and more.

This book though ... taking Phan back, wth? That completely ruined absolutely everything for me and it was about the time I stopped reading it the first time, because I found it so utterly ridiculous that I simply couldn't handle it. And it hurt to know that that was the path the author had chosen to take, because it did not work well with the other three books and all of the uncertainty Noah have had around the whole Tobias/Phan. Instead it is his true nightmare coming to life in this book.
He may stay in the relationship, but I don't feel like it is about Noah and Tobias any longer, but instead the focus stays on Phan, which annoys me deeply, because I do not think Phan should have that big a role.

As have been mentioned earlier, Phan never tried to move on. He had plenty of opportunities to do so, but he never did! Instead he continued to be hung up on Tobias and tried to destroy his relationship with Noah from the very first time. And what is it with all the focus on Phan's problems?
He is NOT the main character of the series, but somehow he becomes it, which is deeply annoying on every damn level. Besides that, I find him a selfish brat who becomes sullen as soon as things don't work out for him. I know a lot like him, but I have never liked him, not once. He annoyed since the first book and how he makes doe eyes at Tobias. Move on, kiddo! You finished it, now you can't suddenly have regrets.
I can already feel myself become annoyed and pissed just thinking about it; just thinking about his hateful little personality.

This book was .. I don't have words for it, so disappointed was I. I don't even count it as a part of the series any longer and when I re-read the series, I only read the first three books, because those are the books I love - centering on the BDSM and on Noah/Tobias.

Shame for such a good series to have such a ridiculous ending.

I do hope that there will be a spin-off at some point about Nikki and Bradford. I doubt it, but their relationships is one I would love to get deeper into.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bondage.