Ben's Reviews > City of Thieves

City of Thieves by David Benioff

Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: fiction
Read in April, 2012

I walked into Books, Inc. in the Marina district in SF to kill some time. An older man approached me and said: "Have you read 'City of Thieves'?".
"No."
"Here," as he handed me the book, "come back on Sunday and tell me what you thought."
It was Friday. I didn't go back in, and it took me two days longer than he expected for me to finish it. Had it been a completely free weekend, I would've finished it by Sunday. This book is an absolute page turner.
However, it reads like a movie. Predictable, linear, enough gore to keep Hollywood happy, and with high tension and no bad luck. I think writers like Benioff have mastered human psychology and distilled writing to a formula that keeps even self-proclaimed critical readers (like myself) entertained while reading and when they get a chance to reflect think "that was the most predictable book I've read in a while." Hence the "New York Times Bestseller" banner over the top.
This book will make an excellently profitable movie. But one that everyone will walk out while cursing "meh" under their breath.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Thieves.