Sarina's Reviews > Carnival of Chaos: On the Road with the Nomadic Festival

Carnival of Chaos by Sascha Altman DuBrul

Apr 25, 12

Recommended for: Borderline oogles.

Ummm...I think that maybe I had read this book a little too late on my punk journey, when I was already jaded by the arrogance of traveling punk culture, & not impressed by punk exploits & certainly not forgiving of the privilege of white traveler kids with pretensions of "gypsy"-hood & idealized poverty & delusions of revolutionary grandeur...so I just really did not like this book. Yes, it appealed to my love of zine aesthetics, adventure, & fun, but overall my impression of it was that it was juvenile & the kids were overloaded with their own sense of self-importance (in true punk form, we've all been guilty of it) & that their act sounded hilariously pathetic & lacking anything that was truly wonderful & carnival-esque, a little fire & puppets & dance if I recall correctly. We all love a true upstart, a true sense of the DIY, & tribal togetherness, & I guess you do get a lot of that in here. They also don't shy away from pointing out the ways that the carnival didn't live up to their own expectations, which is good, I suppose. But, my truest experience of this book was a grand fizzling out of interest towards the end, a desperate need for it to be over, & a slight sense of annoyance at having tracked it down after reading a good review of it. I think I gave it away in a free pile?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carnival of Chaos.