Sarina's Reviews > Tropic of Cancer

Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller

Apr 25, 12

No. I had such high hopes for this book because it comes sooo highly recommended by so many people I've known. I mean, the best of friends always throw in the obvious caveats (misogyny!), but WHOAAA! MISOGYNY! It actually hurt to read this at times. There isn't a woman that he speaks of with respect in this book. I guess you could argue that he doesn't seem to respect many people in this book at all, but he had a lot of rambling praise for a lot of men, & women were nothing but potent sexual objects to be used & thrown away. & it doesn't just happen sometimes, it fucking drips off of almost every page. I feel like I could only like this book if I had male privilege, & an ample dose of unexamined or maybe even celebrated misogyny, in short: the ability to read this & not be grossly, personally offended. Yes, his language at times is brilliant, mad, chaos, poetry. But I couldn't get into it. He is the most unsavory of unsavory characters to me, with no qualities (yes, even his words) to redeem him. I did not enjoy this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tropic of Cancer.