Sarah Bringhurst's Reviews > How High Can a Dinosaur Count?: ...and Other Math Mysteries

How High Can a Dinosaur Count? by Valorie Fisher

Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: math
Read in April, 2012

As well as our formal math program, I schedule time reading "math literature" into our homeschooling days. And this is one of the more delightful finds off our library shelf. Each page has a whimsical illustration, and then an alliterative word problem that goes along with it. For example:
The heavenly hats at Madame Millie's Millinery are brimming with blossoms, butterflies, and bows. Heloise wants all of them, but she has only 2 dimes, 2 nickels, and three pennies to spend. Can Heloise buy a hat?
The pictures contain clues to help the reader solve the problem (in this case, each hat has a price tag). The back of the book contains several other word problems based on the same illustration.

This book is a cut above a lot of other math readers for several reasons:

#1 Nice illustrations.
#2 Non-annoying text. I can't count the number of math books I've left at the library because they were composed in doggerel that hurt my ears.
#3 The problems are like real-world problems, but they're fun and entertaining. They involve multiple steps, and require the reader to think, but they're not too hard for my 7-year-old to figure out.
#4 My daughter loves it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How High Can a Dinosaur Count?.