Khris Sellin's Reviews > Half a Life

Half a Life by Darin Strauss

Apr 27, 12

Read from April 25 to 27, 2012

I hate the phrase "raw honesty" but there's really no other way to describe this book.

As an 18-year-old senior in high school, with his life ahead of him, Strauss heads off the play mini golf with a few friends of his, driving his dad's car. He sees a classmate of his riding her bike along the side of the road, then she suddenly veers into his lane of traffic... and his life will never be the same again.

He really opens up about everything he was feeling, and wasn't feeling, from the moment the accident happens. He doesn't try to paint himself in any sort of positive light. (As he says, he wanted to avoid "making a case for the defense.") But it's clear that this event has never left him, and it has shaped everything he's done in his life, whether he realized it or not.

It's a thought-provoking book. While most of us (hopefully) have not had to deal with this kind of tragedy, it's interesting to think about the things that have happened to us, or that we have made happen -- good and bad -- that have made us who we are and brought us to where we are.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half a Life.