Andrew Marcec's Reviews > Pink Smog

Pink Smog by Francesca Lia Block

Apr 26, 12

bookshelves: a-bit-tweeny, fiction, quirky
Read from April 25 to 26, 2012

I wasn't sure what to think of Pink Smog when I read through the first chapter. It's narrative seemed disjointed, chaotic, and at times focused on items that didn't seem to matter.

However, it wasn't until I had gotten about halfway through the book and learned more about the characters, that I realized what Francesca did, and I was engrossed with this book until the end.

What she did, and did incredible subtly, was perfectly write this book from the view of a thirteen year old girl. Now I have no idea what being a thirteen year old girl is like, but thinking back on my time as a teen I remembered how chaotic things were. How important the little things like clothes, music, and what brand of bike you rode mattered. Those first few chapters suddenly fit perfectly with this story, and perfectly introduced the character who came to be Weetzie Bat.

On the surface, this book appeared to be your standard coming of age story. A girl, Weetzie, is taking care of her former actress and current drunk mother after her father leaves. This book strays from the typical formula where the protagonist finds a significant other who helps them realize that life is worth living, and instead focuses on a child realizing her own inner strength in the face of not only adversity, but in the face of life in general.

She not only has to learn to cope with these feelings of abandonment, but also discovers that though her situation is unfortunate, she is not alone in her struggle to survive in life. Her two friends show her that they are just as troubled as she is.

Francesca's writing style was incredible. Not only does she have an excellent flow to her writing, but she did something I find not many authors can do. She piqued my curiosity about specific items in this book, and genuinley makes me want to know what the outcome will be. She built these characters, so that you will actually care what happens to them in the end...even if each character's end isn't the one you want for them.

All-in-all, though the book is categorized as "teen", I would recommend this as a read for anyone. I think you will all walk away being thoroughly entertained.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pink Smog.

04/25/2012 page 153