David Mcangus's Reviews > God Emperor of Dune

6942064
Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: science-fiction, religious, fantasy
Read in April, 2012

The excellence continues, however here, Herbert decides to expose his intent in full naked glory without the concern of inconsequential garments like plot.

To a degree this is how the book reads and whether you enjoy it or not largely comes down to whether you're interested in what Frank is talking about through Leto's lips. I for one am. The overriding theme throughout the Dune books so far for me has been the focus on realigning humanity's perspective towards the longevity of our evolution, instead of the finite short term thinking we usually harbour (nothing is of greater importance in the present twenty first century).
Of all the lessons and trials one must go through when aligning one's self with the universe as whole, this is perhaps the type of thinking that can shock the individual's soul to its core. It is both the joy and the horror of existence and this is quite accurately displayed through Frank's prose.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God Emperor of Dune.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Devin (new)

Devin I always enjoyed this book better than the other books in the sequels. But i found nothing completely perfect about the original. Other than it was fantastic. I haven't recently reread it but, i think God Emperor is one of those very few books i'll never forget the feel of. I dont wish to draw attention to the ending, as I remember kindof being rapped up by it,im not sure if i would now, perhaps. the setup and the beginning was equally interesting to me as well, as were many parts of the plot.

David Mcangus I think Children of Dune stands as my favourite of the series. But I agree, of all the books, this one sticks out in my mind as representative of what Herbert was trying to do. I found taking the reader into the mind of a being who fully contemplates time in all its guises, deeply interesting. I can't remember much of the plot in all honesty. What does stay with me though, is the immensity of Leto's vision and the effect that had on my consciousness while reading.