Natasha's Reviews > The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax

The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman

May 30, 12

Read from May 17 to 30, 2012

** spoiler alert ** After about 3 weeks of reading this book is finally done. I was intrigued by the premise behind this book and sadly disappointed with the actual thing. I am not sure if I went in with too high expectations (I didn't think they were) or if it was really as slow as I found it.

Mrs. Pollifax was an interesting character. Very proper and a fairly typical woman in her 60's, she also had glints of adventure and daring that were unexpected and could have been the gold this book was needing. However, even though there were moments of intrigue, they were not consistent and seemed randomly placed. I enjoyed her most of all in the last chapter of the book, not because I knew it was finally ending, but rather because she seemed more real and honest.

The plot should have been exciting and should have drawn the reader into a world of spies and secret meetings, but it just lacked the speed to really take off. When Mrs. Pollifax is abducted I was hoping that there would be more action but there never was.

That being said, if you enjoy books that move at a slow pace, and enjoy more character development than action maybe this is the book for you.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax.

05/29/2012 page 184
90.0% "This book is never going to end! What should be an interesting and quick read has taken forever. While the plot is interesting (in theory) it fails to move at the pace you would expect. I'm not sure if that is because of the properness of Mrs Pollifax or just lacking action, but something is missing. I look forward to being finished and putting this book to bed."

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Stop reading it then... I've made a decision this year to stop forcing myself to finish reading books that I don't like just because I started them. That's why I haven't finished that many books lately. I keep starting stuff and not finishing it :) That's why you're catching up with me!