jess's Reviews > The Little Book of Hindu Deities: From the Goddess of Wealth to the Sacred Cow

The Little Book of Hindu Deities by Sanjay Patel

Sep 02, 2008

bookshelves: 2008, graphic-novels
Read in September, 2008

My 5-year-old cousin saw this book while I was reading it, and could not stop staring at the pictures! He couldn't read the stories, the pictures aren't familiar Disney characters, but it's hard to tear yourself away. These illustrations are CUTE! Like, really really cute. The author says his litmus stick for cuteness was: when his wife looked at each pic, did she say, "Oh, that's cute."? Well, it paid off. Here are the Hindu gods and goddesses, each incarnation of of Vishnu, the demi-gods, the animal gods, the Hindu epics, the ruling planets - each illustrated with saturated colors and a sort of Sanrio-style. I'm not even exaggerating - dude claims Hello Kitty was an inspiration for the designs. Each page has another dumbed-down version of some Hindu mythology accompanied by an adorable picture. It was some major saccharine cuteoverload! I l-o-v-e-d every page, and I plan to buy this in the future at some point -- I think this is the only book I've said this about in 2008. One of my friends expressed some reservations about the over-cuteification of one of the world's major religions - for the record, the author is UK-born Desi, if that helps to inform your feelings about the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Little Book of Hindu Deities.