Christopher's Reviews > Arctic Rising

Arctic Rising by Tobias S. Buckell

M_50x66
Apr 27, 12

Read from April 25 to 27, 2012

I heard about this book on NPR and thought the plot sounded interesting. Like others, I would also recommend not reading the description on goodreads but by now you probably have.

Anyways, the book is fast-paced and action-packed from start to finish. I thought Buckell did a great job creating a realistic setting with believable issues. He presents an interesting scenario on what could happen if the Arctic ice melted away and people sought to exploit the new-found resources. I did enjoy the book.

However, the characters were never well-developed in my opinion. I felt like the author was trying to define the characters with brief descriptions and backgrounds rather than letting them develop naturally. I never felt much empathy for any of the characters either. I kept having the thought that I was watching an action-packed movie with special effects, gorgeous women (my imagination), and B-actors. I think this could be turned into a good movie. I think a movie based on this book could be one of the few movies that are better than the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arctic Rising.