Samantha Feldman's Reviews > The Legend of Mickey Tussler

The Legend of Mickey Tussler by Frank Nappi

Apr 25, 12

Read in April, 2012

The Legend of Mickey Tussler. Frank Nappi.

I’ve always found it hard to attach myself to a book. A critic of sorts I seem to be almost impervious to an author’s personal touch. It takes a lot to help me get through the first couple of chapters of any book without loosing interest and becoming frustrated with the author’s choices, such as chapter length and the style of writing. However, this was not the case with Frank Nappi’s The Legend of Mickey Tussler. Through Frank Nappi’s vivid description of an autistic boy’s realization of self worth with the game of baseball, I was unable to turn my attention away.

Since the age of 6, I have been a dedicated athlete, so in the past I would tend to steer clear of sport driven books. I felt that there wasn’t something in a sports book that I hadn't already personally experienced in my time as a player. When I did, however, finally immerse myself into this book, I found I related to most of the baseball material and enjoyed being able to grasp the concept through a very easy read. Something I also thoroughly enjoyed was the depiction of the relationships between Lefty and his teammates. On every team I have ever been a part of, there was always that one player who didn't have any interest in the state of the team. Knowing this, I found these fragments of arguments and tension very convincing while also releasing some comic relief for myself as I knew exactly how Boxcar or the others felt at that moment.

If I could give any criticism it would be that I felt that some scenes of the game situations seemed repetitive. Although there were descriptions of The Brewers playing other teams in the league, the only other team I could name for you is The Rangers. While reading, this made me feel as though all of the “action” was left to games playing The Rangers instead of being somewhat evenly distributed throughout the games with other teams. In all, coming from the perspective of a busy high school student who is not an avid reader by any means, I would recommend this book to every former and present softball or baseball player out there as well as an avid reader looking for something new.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Legend of Mickey Tussler.