Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru's Reviews > Half-Blood

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

So, this was enjoyable. I did pretty much know what would happen, but there were some pretty decent revelations that set this series apart from the other series so many reviews compared it to. I tried not to think of all of that while I was reading this or I probably wouldn't have liked it at all.

I did like that in this series, the one initially making moves towards a taboo relationship was the guy and not the girl chasing after what she could never have.

I did like Alex despite her cockiness and tendency to mouth off. Not to mention her tendency to do shit she shouldn't do. I do wish she could have gone against the grain and not done the run off to take care of business on her own thing. I really do hate it when heroines do that. Made me want to slap the shit out of her. They just end up getting scarred and killing the bad guy by pure dumb luck. I knew she wouldn't be able to do it and I was trying the whole time not to think of that other series while I was reading that part, but damn, it was remarkably similar. I would have stabbed her if anything had happened to Caleb.

The thing though that makes this series different is the whole crazy mess with the Apollyon and Alex's part in all that. I found that part really interesting and am wondering if the situation will play out the way it did the last time they experienced this crap in their world. Here's to waiting and seeing if Seth will flip out and bring about his and Alex's deaths someday.

I rather liked Aidan. He's a good dude. Looking forward to seeing how that relationship will play out. I've got to admit, those kissing scenes and that cabin scene were hotness.

I'm going to try not to hold the similarities (because they really are huge ones) against the author. I may not have even noticed if I hadn't read the entire Vampire Academy series less than a year ago.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half-Blood.

05/21/2012
12.0% "I am going to try to read this book without comparing it to Vampire Academy. I didn't read any reviews before buying it, but I did right before starting it and now all of that is stuck in my head. One thing for sure, Alex makes poor decisions."
05/21/2012
20.0% "She's about to get her ass kicked."
05/21/2012
22.0% "Is Alex sure she's not trying to get kicked out and forced into servitude? The hell is doing drinking?"
29.0% "Foreshadowing!"
05/21/2012
76.0% "I *sigh* because she's doing the typical YA heroine thing and charging off on her own."
05/21/2012
78.0% "If Caleb dies, I'm going to stab her."