Sandra's Reviews > Open

Open by Andre Agassi

Apr 25, 12

Thoughts: To be a top tier tennis player, gymnast, figure skater- you grow up in an unorthodox manner. The parents are OCD lunatics of these kids, but sadly that is the way it is. Andre's brother is a good example of this product, and it is scary. Everything is sacrificed for one thing- attending school, social life--- usually until injury occurs, or the kid grows, and has to relearn everything over again, and the talent suddenly isn't as competitive as it once was during earlier stages. Not a good way to raise a healthy kid. Andre was lucky to be talented and rich enough to overcome-mentally and physically(somewhat). That being said, normally raised kids don't have a chance against the OCD that goes into training their opponents. We have a huge increase in the caliper of our athletes, but at what cost? To get to Wimbleton? US Open= 99% failure rate in the "goal" parents and kids dream up for themselves..
Next thought- It is important to have loyal friends along the way. I am glad Andre found those people early on. I admire him for holding on to those people, and their loyalty to him. <>
I am glad that despite those tennis players he didn't care for too much personally, he realized that they made him the legend he is today. <>
Despite his dislike early on of school, he opened a school of his own. He seems very genuine, and giving to others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Open.

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 5: by Elyse (new)

Elyse Good review. I've had this book sitting on my shelf at home (the paperback) for years ---
I want to read it--(just haven't yet) ---

I like Andre Agassi ---(liked watching him play tennis ---read a little about his life) --
just like the guy for who he is --and who he is not.

One of these days......(I, too, shall 'read' *OPEN*)

Thanks for your review!

Sandra Thanks, I probably should have given the book another star. What books are your recommending lately? I recently purchased a kindle for my daughter, so I am reading much more again, so any suggestions are helpful!

message 3: by Elyse (new)

Elyse I'll toss some ideas your way:

Did you read "The Language of Flowers" (our goodreads group read it). I thought it was a little gem!

Also: The picks for the month of May AND June for our Goodreads picks will be GREAT (so we can even join in on discusssion).

May: Molokai (I read it years ago --'wonderful')...A FAVORITE, even!!!!

June: Defending Jacob (can't wait to read it mysef)

"Book Thief" by Markus Zusak is what I'm reading 'now'...Its priceless!!! (a 'teen' and adult book). Fabulous-creative-narrative writing.

Books I 'want' to read: The new John Irving book soon to be released (next month I think). LOVE John Irving. You MUST read: "A Prayer for Owen Meany" in case you missed that one. (his best)

I hope to read sometime: 11/23/63 by Stephan King (I hear great reviews by friends and people who don't even read 'King' books.)

FAVORITES: "The Invisible Bridge" by Julie Orringer
"To the End of the Land" by David Grossman

I'd like to also read: "The Art of Fielding" (I hear its great)

"Cutting or Stone" by Abraham Verghese (sooo good)

"City of Tranquil Lights" Bo Caldwell
"The Distant Land of My Father" Bo Caldwell

"A Bitter Veil" by Libby Hellmann (our goodreads woman's group member and author). GOOD book!

want more? lol

Hugs Sandra!!!! Hope you are well!

Me: I've been a little 'blue'....but I think its all in my head....(but that's the problem)....lol

enjoy your week-end!

Sandra Thanks so much! I will let you know which one I download after I am done with my current book. I enjoyed reading Unbroken recently- great book, and oddly enough The Lost City of Z. The latter was not an easy read, I had to reread some parts that I missed or forgot details, and even ended up pulling out a map. It turned out much better than I thought it would.

message 1: by JP (new)

JP Parenti Nice thoughts, Sandra. He's a good soul, JP.