Ellen's Reviews > The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

Jul 17, 14

bookshelves: mystery-flavia-de-luce, bradley, my-favorites
Read in April, 2012

The Sweetness at the Bottom of t...

A Masterpiece of Excellence, April 25, 2012
By Ellen Rappaport (Florida)
This review is from: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie: A Flavia de Luce Mystery (Flavia de Luce Mysteries) (Paperback)
Flavia is an 11 yo precocious child, the youngest of 3 sisters, with a curiousity backed by unlimited energy and intelligence. This was a mystery head and shoulders above mysteries as we have come to know and appreciate them. This author, who wrote this when he was 70 yo, is an artist of an author.

This marvelous story has unending stories hidden behind each clue unearthed by our Dear Flavia. A story behind every story from the past...and what a past it was and is.
One of my favorite parts in this masterpiece is when Flavia found her way (with the help of Gladys her bicycle) to her Father sitting in jail. It was there that Father spoke of his bygone days with his classmates. Their secret amongst secrets. Never had Flavia felt that close to her Father as in that cell.

This is a must read...but be prepared to be drawn into a another place in time, a place you won't soon forget.

Much more than 5 stars is deserved by this fabulously detailed and well researched novel.

Happy reading.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.