Mikey B.'s Reviews > We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families

We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Ou... by Philip Gourevitch

Feb 14, 13

bookshelves: africa, journalism
Read in November, 2005

Informative...

The second part of this book is better than the first. Although interesting, the first part seems detached and meandering; a nice set of interviews - but for the most part they seem to be after-the-fact interviews.

The second part becomes more unified and emotional. It is concerned more with the here and now; of how Rwanda is 'coping' with the genocide (indeed, if it can ever hope to do so). Sometimes I feel the author is painting a 'rosy' picture of Rwandan president Paul Kagame. Nevertheless he does score points in detailing how the international communities have been insensitive to Rwanda; particularly in terms of the refugees (or fugitives from justice) in camps that were receiving humanitarian aid from several UN organizations.

Gourevitch also points out the hypocrisy of the UN providing aid, but it's unwillingness to risk lives (like to prevent a genocide of close to 1 million people).

The book reminds me of the points brought out by Daniel Jonah Goldhagen's book Hitler's Willing Executioners: Ordinary Germans and the Holocaust: a genocide has many participants and they can be eager participants who believe in the righteousness of their cause. A genocide is organized - machetes were ordered, lists were made, groups assembled. These points are well brought out in the book of Gourevitch.

For a more immediate 'feeling' of the Rwandan genocide read Roméo Dallaire's heart-wrenching Shake Hands with the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda. Dallaire and Paul Rusesabagina (represented in the movie "Hotel Rwanda"), are interviewed in this book of Philip Gourevitch.

4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families.

message 1: by Caroline (new) - added it

Caroline Very interesting indeed - especially what you say about the logistics underpinning what happened. It was organised, it wasn't just a casual nightmare.

I have passed on links to the video you told me about - the one featuring Roméo Dallaire - to other friends. It was absolutely incredible.