Alan Jacob's Reviews > Danny the Champion of the World

Danny the Champion of the World by Roald Dahl

M 50x66
Apr 25, 12

Read in October, 2011

The book follows a young primary school child who tells his story of his life and his father's. The story mainly centres around the child's love for his father and how best to trap pheasants, while evading the aristocrat character who owns the woods where the birds live.
I was fairly disappointed by this book from a renowned author as there was a very weak storyline that did not engage me. At times it felt as though the author was trying to just fill the pages with laborious and pointless diversions away from the main story, that again failed to spark my interest. The writing is best suited to KS2 and perhaps early secondary school with illustrations typical of their style. The children who would read this book will need a much better attention span as well as imagination than I have, as I had found it rather difficult to find anything good about the book. Perhaps those with an interest in poultry will find this story more to their liking than I did. Fantastic author but not because of this book.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Danny the Champion of the World.