Chris's Reviews > The Technologists

The Technologists by Matthew Pearl

M_50x66
Apr 25, 12

Read in April, 2012

Great historical fiction. I was captivated from the beginning, and couldn't do anything else until I finished. I will admit, as some negative reviews may point out, that the last 1/3 or so of the book slowed down considerably from the beginning. It was also a bit confusing. Nonetheless, this book does everything it set out to do. It provided a great, engrossing mystery with enough action to make sure that it is more than just a historical fiction. (There are some plot holes for pure mystery/thriller buffs, but if you look at it as historical fiction/mystery, I think you will quite enjoy it.) It introduced us to deep characters, bit by bit. It took us back to the beginning of MIT and the dawn of the "technology age." The prose was fairly well written, and I had no trouble with the 19th century speak. The culture of that time period is apparent through the book, as it should. You really get a great sense of being in late 1800s Boston.

In short, although the ending was a bit of a let down from the excellent beginning, there is no question that this is a wonderful novel, and a great piece of historical fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Technologists.