Annie Fyfe's Reviews > Spell Bound

Spell Bound by Kelley Armstrong

1019228
Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, witches, werewolves, demons, young-adult
Read in March, 2012

I had listened to the previous book, Waking the Witch, without realizing that that book was part of a much longer series of books. I’ve since looked into this series of her books and realized you don’t really need to read all of them in order, but it might help with some things. I figured since I knew the ending of and most of the characters from Waking the Witch that I would move forward in the series from there.

The story starts with a young witch who seems to have just lost all her powers in order to save a young girl from losing her only living family. That’s the way the previous book ended but that is where the story picks up. She realizes she is being targeted by what she thinks to be a witch hunter or possibly another supernatural. Many supernatural characters come to light as they all try to get together to figure out what is going on in their world.

I really liked Waking the Witch, but this one left me uninspired. Part of it might be because I don’t know all the characters from the previous books and therefore don’t care about them very much. I also tend to like fantasy books that also involve reality. Waking the Witch dealt with a lot of non-supernaturals (aka humans) but this book only dealt with those in the “Otherworld” and it got a little too out there for me. I also felt like plot lines went in circles and not much was resolved or even happened. I guess this will be resolved in her next book, but none of the plot lines were compelling enough to make me want to read any more about these characters. I’m sad this book left me disappointed because I do think Armstrong is a good author but she just didn’t hit the mark with this one.

I think I could only recommend this book to hardcore Kelley Armstrong fans that have read many of her ‘Otherworld’ books and feel very connected to many of the characters. The only other way I would recommend this is if the next book in the series turns out to be great and the information in this book is necessary to things that happen in that book. But I won’t be able to make my judgment on that, yet (I guess I just set myself up to read it)!

For a more extensive review check out my blog:

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spell Bound.