Evilazula's Reviews > Lips Touch: Three Times

Lips Touch by Laini Taylor

F_50x66
What did I think of this book? Uh.... hmmmm....

*froths at mouth*

Stephenie Meyer, Miss Taylor has created something beautiful, gorgeous, haunting, mesmerising, enchanting, eerie, poetic, lyrical and a bunch of other adjectives which you failed to inject into your crap-fest of a "saga". You could take some lessons from Laini.

Laini Taylor is a Goddess with words. She manipulates them beautifully, creating vivid imagery and rich prose with characters that you can relate to and sympathise with.

Man oh man. There are three "short" stories in within the pages of this book, although the last story, "The Hatchling" (my favourite) is really more like a novella.

GOBLIN FRUIT: I would say that this is my second favourite of all three stories. It is about a teenage girl called Kizzy who wants so much that her desire leaves a palpable trail for the evil Goblins, who take advantage of this wanting in a most delicious way.

This is the shortest of all the stories, and yet the character depth and the world Laini has created for Kizzy will leave you begging for more. In fact, when it ended, I felt like a piece of me had suddenly gone missing and I was yearning for more of Kizzy's universe- especially more on her family and their ways.

I kept flipping the last page back and forth as if another would materialise for me if I "wanted" hard enough. Ohhh, it was all so mysterious, and I would have loved if there was more focus on a person in the family apart from the Grandma.

I really related with Kizzy. A lot of the times, I feel like I am on the sidelines, watching a pretty girl in a boyfriends lap with envy, and she encapsulated that feeling so perfectly.

SPICY LITTLE CURSES SUCH AS THESE: I must say, while Laini never fails captivating me with her descriptions, I found I didn't get sucked into this story. At all. The premise was rather interesting, and the concept was really cool too, but at the same time I was aware that I was still in my own world- which is a mark that I haven't really enjoyed the story as much as I could have.

I also wish we could have had more of an insight into Anamique's journal (such a beautiful name).

THE HATCHLING: Ah. The Hatchling. Where do I begin with this... this... I would go so far as to call it a masterpiece. I've never quite read anything like this. I'm sure somewhere, in some language in the world, there is a word for the haunting feeling that a story can leave you with after you've finished it, an inescapable feeling where you keep thinking about the story over and over and over.

This story wouldn't leave my mind. In fact, I had a restless night's sleep after reading it,with words such as "Ba'thrishva" and "Tajbel" constantly surfacing in my mind. The world she created, of spires and coldness and being so powerful yet an empty, soulless husk was just so clear that I could almost feel it.

And the word itself. Druj. It just sounds cool. In a language I can speak, Gujarati, Druj means to shiver. And that's exactly what I felt reading about the Druj- cold, indifferent, and to an extent malicious. I know that Laini borrowed words from the Avestan language, and aspects of the Zoroastrian culture, but combined with her own made-up mythology, everything was so fresh and original.

I'm quite sorry that The Hatchling was only a novella. I could have read a wacking great big novel just about the Druj, lost in the eerie world of spires and towers and cages, reading about Mab's day to day life.

I think I've raved enough about the Hatchling now. It's become one of my favourite stories ever, and... ABFIWUBGFIWUBGRIWGIWEGF there. I'm done now!

And just to wrap this review up, the illustrations were breathtakingly glorious. *GASPS AT THE SHEER BEAUTY OF IT ALL*

Miss Taylor's husband is very talented.

Kay I'm done. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lips Touch.