bookczuk's Reviews > The Man Who Smiled

The Man Who Smiled by Henning Mankell

May 02, 2012

bookshelves: audio, nordic-noir, a-favorite-author, listened-in-the-car, thank-you-charleston-county-library, translated-mystery
Read from April 17 to 28, 2012

Wallender is an old friend in our home from when he was first available in English. This was an audio read, with a fabulous voice actor, who really got the different characters down beautifully. We loved being back in Sweden, though felt a bit schizophrenic, because we've been reading so much Nordic crime stuff, and also a bit of Harry Bosch, too. Everyone seems to have left the police force, but only Kurt is welcomed back; the Harrys in the other stories are still on the skids with their respective bosses.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man Who Smiled.

04/25/2012
85.0% "Audio read on the trip. Husband having difficulty switching betweem Sweden and Norway for the Nesbo he is reading."

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Kirsti (new) - added it

Kirsti "Nordic break out the herring" is the best bookshelf title ever.

bookczuk :) Thanks! We read a lot of Nordic stuff -- don't know exactly what to call some of it (though Jim thompson is definitely Nordic Noir ). A book is particularly successful for us (hubby and myself) if we long to taste chilled vodka, herring, good coffee, and pumpernickel bread. Also if I have no fingernails left.