Darren Vincent's Reviews > Revan

M_50x66
May 14, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from April 25 to May 07, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Great finish to a good-but-not great book.

I made the mistake of jumping into this book before I knew anything about Darth Revan and his past. That would have helped somewhat, though the author did a good enough job of filling in the blanks as the story went along.

I am not sure if this information was already out there in the Expanded Universe, but as far as I know, this was the first mention of an (Sith) Emperor other than Palpatine. I am not sure how I feel about that. I like that the author is setting a precedent, but based on the accomplishments of this past Emperor, I feel like he could have taken Palpatine out in a heartbeat had they ever come face to face. And that is what bothers me; the power discrepancy is just too large between the two. Especially when we are to believe that Palpatine is so very powerful.

The ending was very clever. I was preparing myself for Scourge to be the one to defeat the Emperor and come over to the light side. It would have been a great Hollywood ending, but it would not have felt right. His betraying his partners allowed him to still feel wholly Sith, all while becoming a lighthouse/lookout for a future champion to dethrone the Emperor. It felts like an especially weasel-y move, befitting a Sith and allowing the author to give a more realistic resolution to the conflict.

It is this ending that causes me to grade an otherwise 3-star book as a 4-star. It was unexpected and completely unpredictable, which is just what this book needed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revan.