Jenna Barton 's Reviews > Master of the Mountain

Master of the Mountain by Cherise Sinclair

Apr 25, 12

Read in June, 2011

4.5 Stars!
Realistic and Truly Erotic.
Things to like about this book: the heroine is older, not physically perfect, a BDSM novice who stumbles as she learns. The hero has emotional scars - he's chosen a life running a remote mountain retreat for a reason - but he's doesn't suffer the fate of many bruised alpha males in contemporary romance. Sinclair makes him likable, even sympathetic. This variety of erotic romance with BDSM is my personal favorite because it makes sense to me. This story was about realistic, accessible people who are in love and also kinky. The play was inventive, heated, and represented the Safe, Sane, and Consensual credo very well without being preachy.
This book wasn't five stars for me because I didn't like the jerk boyfriend. It served a purpose to move the plot along, and gave Jake something outside of himself to grind his teeth over. This particular convention is just a personal issue with contemporary romance. Most of the time the jerky ex is a bit hollow in terms of characterization and this was the case here, but Ms. Sinclair made him a good counterpoint to Jake in all of the most important superficial ways. Also knocking this from five stars was the arrival of Jake's brother. His appearance felt a bit awkward for me, but he was integrated into the plot in an acceptable way. Difficult for me to explain specifics since my read of this book isn't recent, but he seemed tacked on to this story somehow, as though the possibility for a series became apparent and Sinclair's publisher asked her to reference Jake's brother in order to set up his own story.
Overall, I'd recommend Ms. Sinclair's books to anyone looking for well-written erotic romance that is actually erotic, accurately reflects a power exchange relationship without sacrificing the point of reading genre fiction, and is a good story beyond the sexy bits.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Master of the Mountain.