Kacie's Reviews > Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor

Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: childrens

I first read Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry in the seventh grade. I'd like to say that it changed my thinking, but I honestly do not remember much. I had to read it for English class and although I love to read, I always hated reading books in English class. I never got much out of it unless I read the book straight through instead of the assigned sections.

I am so glad that I reread this novel. It is about a young black girl and her family struggling in the South. The novel has themes of racism, showing Cassie and her family dealing with bigotry and racial prejudice. I would use this novel in the same grade that I read it in, around seventh grade. It could be read as I read it, as a class in assigned sections, or in literature circles. Personally, I would use this in literature circles to allow my students more in depth focus. I would hope that my students get more out of this book their first read than I did. This novel would be appropriate to use during Black History Month.

The novel is very well written. The characters were well developed and seemed realistic so that the reader was able to sympathize and feel emotions for the characters. The plot is easy to follow and the setting is well described so that the story is brought to life.

The setting is described in a way that does not overwhelm the story. The lay of the land is described as well as the surrounding town they live in. The characters behave in believable ways for the time period as far as I know. They behave how you would expect a poor family from the South might live. The conflicts are very plausible. Although the Logans have their own land, they are struggling to not lose it, which is a possibility. They then struggle with racism in a more active way, which is believable.

I believe that the theme is still relevant to today's readers. It shows that it is okay to befriend people that are different from you. It also emphasizes what happened in the past to make the issues better today, but also shows that these things are still happening.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry.