Jeff's Reviews > Parenting With Love and Logic

Jul 18, 12

bookshelves: nonfiction
Recommended for: Parents
Read from April 25 to July 18, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Parenting With Love and Logic is quite a good book for new parents and not-so-new parents alike. While most of its advice is for parents of older kids (6-13 or so), many of the principles can be applied to raise children, ostensibly from the cradle.

Among the many, many, many peices of advice given, the main message remains the same: don't give your children commands. Give your children options. This encourages them to think and act for themselves, eliminating some problems entirely, while making others much more manageable. This is what struck me. Rather than promising easy answers to common problems, this book unabashedly admits that following this advice is hard. We want our kids to succeed – to have an easy comfortable life, but the world isn't an easy, comfortable place. Our place as parents is to prepare kids for that world. That's not to say that we have to make their lives hard, but it does advocate allowing consequences to do the teaching, rather than having a lecturing parent.

The book is well-organized. It's split into two halves that allow readers to treat it as a reference book after the first read-through, with the second half being made up of "pearls," or short bits of advice on everything from stealing to whining.

While many of the anecdotes in the book can be quite funny, I felt that a lot of the illustrative examples that the authors came up with for some of the principles were quite forced. Meaning: that's not how I speak, and it sure isn't how kids speak. One example in particular in the latter pages of the "pearls" section involved a lengthy discussion between a parent and a toddler. It was longwinded and confusing for me as a reader, so I can only guess how the two year old took it. The humor that the authors sometimes use in the book can also feel forced and awkward. I realize that they've been around for a while, but it feels weird sometimes.

All in all, this is a good all-around book, but most of the advice is geared towards kids that are in elementary school or beyond. On top of that, some of the advice doesn't feel like it leaves much room for interpretation and use on individual kids, as circumstances can vary quite a bit. Therefore, some of the more specific advice has to be discounted in favor of the overall message.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Parenting With Love and Logic.

05/16/2012 page 30