Emma K's Reviews > Salem Falls

F 50x66
Apr 25, 2012

did not like it
Read on April 25, 2012

I read “Salem Falls” by Jodi Picoult. The main character, Jack St. Bride loves his job of teaching high school social studies. What he loves most about his job is the soccer team that he gets to coach each fall. Even though he is very young, he is content with his life and all aspects of it. Until his star soccer player accuses him of sexually assaulting her. Jack is blown away by this horrifying accusation. The court finds him guilty of the crime and he gets sent to jail for 8 months. When Jack gets out of jail, he wants to start over. He doesn’t want anyone to know of the crime he was accused of. As it’s written in the book, “Several miles into his journey, Jack St. Bride decided to give up on his former life.” (Picoult 1) Jack finds a quiet peaceful town where no one knows him so that he can start all over. This becomes impossible, though, when the everyone in the town finds out that Jack went to jail for sexual assault. Even though Jack has always portrayed himself as a respectful, kind man, the fear of what Jack was accused of doing changes the citizens. Parents don’t allow their children out after dark anymore, rumors start flying about Jack, and everyone’s nervous of what Jack might do next. When Jack is accused of sexually assaulting another girl, everyone in the town turns hatefully him, even those who Jack called friends. As Jodi Picoult states in this book “A lie [takes] two parties- the weaver of the tale, and the sucker who so badly wanted to believe it.” (Picoult 224)
This book was flooded with detail and descriptions. Picoult put frequent similes and metaphors in her writing so that you were always bogged down of something was like or what it could be compared to. Not what it was. “Words are like eggs dropped from great heights; you can no more call them back than ignore the mess they leave when they fall.” (Picoult 125) The repetitiveness and dragging out of events made the plot hard to follow and dull. This was a book written to have suspense, without any suspense in it.
I give this book a one out of 5 stars. When I first started reading it, I though that it would be alright, not my favorite book in the world, but worthy of reading. As I kept going, it just dragged on and on. If writing a book review hadn’t been necessary, I wouldn’t have kept going with this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Salem Falls.

message 1: by Mr. Pirkl (new)

Mr. Pirkl Good job. Have you read other books by her and if so have you liked them?
Full credit.