Lori's Reviews > The Captain is Out to Lunch and the Sailors Have Taken Over the Ship

The Captain is Out to Lunch and the Sailors Have Taken Over t... by Charles Bukowski

Oct 16, 08

bookshelves: fiction, most-interesting-title
Read in October, 2008

"A writer owes nothing except to his writing. He owes nothing to the reader except the availability of the printed page...The best reader and the best human is the one who rewards me with his or her absence."

"Writing is when I take death out of my left pocket, throw him against the wall and catch him as he bounces back."

One of Bukowski's last novels. This one, written in journal form, leads us through a year or so of his later life... a 70 something old man, married and still writing, possibly writing the best shit of his career (so he says).

Where he older stuff is all rauch, sex, and getting sacked from factory work, this one shows us a calmer, more resigned Bukowski, one who contemplates what the world will be like once he is gone, one who is waiting for death to catch up with him, yet one who still wishes to go out with a fight.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Captain is Out to Lunch and the Sailors Have Taken Over the Ship.

10/15/2008 page 40