Carey's Reviews > The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are

The Gifts of Imperfection by Brené Brown

May 08, 12

Read from April 25 to May 02, 2012

This is going on my "Books I wish everyone would read" list. I had this book recommended to me by many sources, but I resisted for a long time because I had such a gut-wrenching, shame-filled reaction to the word "imperfection" on the cover. In other words, I am the perfect (ha ha) target audience.

Seeing Brené's TED talks inspired me to buy her books, and while "I Thought it was Just Me" shook me up and made me re-examine myself in some very important ways, THIS is the book I'm going to read over and over again.

There are hundreds of self-help books that promise that doing one little thing will change your life, because "it worked for me." This book is completely different. This is about 10-13 (depending on how you count 'em) BIG things that you can practice doing in hundreds of little ways that will not just change your life, but also your family and our culture. And it's not based on a handful of anecdotes, but years and years of research. There's no BS hyperbole in here to convince you this is The Way, and no promises of "it's so easy!" Brené actually talks about the resistance, fear, and cultural establishments that keep us from embracing these things, and openly admits that this work is scary and hard and yet still worth doing.

I love that the guideposts are concepts, virtues, principles, and there isn't a "now implement it in your life LIKE THIS" prescription, but rather a structured yet open way for the reader to discover and create the ways that will suit them best, with enough information to know that "you're on the right track".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gifts of Imperfection.