Fyonfyon's Reviews > The Minority Council

The Minority Council by Kate Griffin

F_50x66
This is probably my favourite current urban fantasy series by some way for a variety of reasons - I love the way Griffin evokes London, the plots are usually nicely dark and splattered with inventively high body counts and there is none of that irritating romance (especially of the being-torn-between-two-options rubbish that everyone's doing). However with that does come some issues and I began this installment well aware that the cast of recurring characters had undergone what can only be described as a savaging due to previous events. So a load of new characters (or cannon-fodder) need to be introduced. Knowing that only about 10% are likely to see book 5, it was hard to really invest in them (apart from Kelly who was a new grade of awesome - like plutonium-grade awesome). Equally I felt similar apprehension with the plot. After the frankly apocalyptic finale of Neon Court - where was there left to go? Who in their right mind would be stupid enough to take on someone with Swift's track record? Drugged up magicians it seems - which I found slow to engage with but it did lead to a very satisfyingly messed up showdown as Swift's psyche undergoes a small meltdown in probably my favourite sequence of the novel so far. So yes, though it didn't pack the emotional punch of previous installments, it still served up action and sheer invention in spades. I'll be preordering the next one.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Minority Council.