Sara's Reviews > The Juliet Club

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, 2008
Recommended for: Shakespeare fans
Read in September, 2008

3.5 stars. I read this because I'd loved Suzanne Harper's last book, The Secret life of Sparrow Delaney. Sadly, this book wasn't nearly as good. I think what made the difference was not writing (because the writing in this book was strong, too) but rather plot - whereas her last book had mystery, ghosts, a great setting, good characters, and a love story, this book lacked a mystery and did not have any ghosts. Instead of really standing out in the genre, this book blended in with the other entertaining (but not especially remarkable) teen books out there.

In this book, Kate goes to Verona, Italy, where she spends a month with other high school students, living and breathing Shakespeare. I loved how many of Shakespeare's plays are mentioned in the novel - and not only mentioned, but plot aspects of his plays come to life in Kate's life, and she (and the others) mention this. It's quite clever. The setting is great as well, and the author brings Verona to life; now I want to go there! On the other hand, the other characters besides Kate aren't quite as fleshed out and, though they're likable, they don't feel completely alive. This was a cute book for sure and I enjoyed reading it, but it's not one that I'd tell someone they just have to read. But if you love Shakespeare and are a girl, you'll probably like this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Juliet Club.