Jolie's Reviews > Silent in the Grave

Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn

Sep 29, 08

bookshelves: mystery-thriller, historical-mystery
Read in September, 2008

This book had what must be one of the best opening lines of all time:

"To say that I met Nicholas Brisbane over my husband's dead body is not entirely accurate. Edward, it should be noted, was still twitching upon the floor."

If the book had continued in this wryly observant manner, my review would likely be more favorable. Unfortunately, the first line remains the best line, and the rest of the book remains a tantalizing promise that was never quite kept.

Lady Julia Grey is reluctantly made aware that her husband did not die of natural causes, and the enigmatic Brisbane is engaged to investigate. She stumbles around--mostly messing up his investigation, bringing down the wrath of Brisbane multiple times, but somehow managing to make him fall, enigmatically, in love with her--but eventually pieces together the mystery. The solution, of course, follows the rule of mystery books--the person who-dun-it has to be someone you know, but not someone you suspect. Which narrows it down pretty quickly.

Don't get me wrong, I like formulaic books just as much as I like formulaic movies--which is to say, pretty well, but not as much as something that absolutely blows me away. This book didn't blow me away, but was a fine read. I just wish it lived up to that first line...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silent in the Grave.