Deborah Biancotti's Reviews > Am I Black Enough For You?

Am I Black Enough For You? by Anita Heiss

Apr 24, 2012

bookshelves: aww2012, writer-women, non-fic
Read from April 24 to May 17, 2012

I'm hoping this book makes it into every library in the country. From the title I was expecting a kinda kick to the pants & heck, I'd gotten sick enough of the racism of my upbringing & the privilege of my (white) life that I figured I might just deserve it. But Heiss disarmed me on the very first page. She made the political personal, she showed the effects of racist comments (by Andrew Bolt & followers) on her family & particularly her mother. And she allowed this book to be the gentle memoir of a woman growing up a concrete Koori in Australia, exercising her Westfield Dreaming and writing 'choc lit'.

She also managed to correct some common (mostly white) misconceptions & offer the beginnings of an education. I was embarrassed to find I hadn't realised the Government was trying to change *the anti-discrimination laws* in order to execute its recent Stolen Generation Mark 2.0 (i.e. the Northern Territory intervention). Note to the government: if you're thinking about changing anti-discrimation laws in order to execute a course of action against one particular group of Australians - well, don't. It's just really obviously wrong, isn't it? I'm trying to think of a situation where it may not be wrong & I can't.

As Heiss described her journey towards political activism, I felt my own activism growing. I moved from passive to active support of reconciliation & reparation reading this book.

Plus, Heiss made me think it was possible to say that I am white & often quite ignorant - but I'm willing to learn. And if I ever come out with some patronising comment about reconciliation beginning with everyone 'hugging an Aboriginal woman today', I am assured she will correct me with compassion & care! *LOL*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Am I Black Enough For You?.

02/26/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Helen (new) - added it

Helen Merrick Right. Off to buy this right now. I've read her 'choc-lit' and its lots of fun, as well as doing a great job of providing some sneaky (and not so sneaky) lessons on Aboriginal culture. I dare ya!
She's also one of the warmest, cheerful and contagiously positive woman I've ever met!

Deborah Biancotti Manhattan Dreaming is already on my list, baby! Looking forward to it. ;p

Amanda Jane As an Indigenous woman I just wanted to thank you Deborah for your lovely review. It shows that you truly understood what Anita had to say and I hope that more white Australians have the opportunity to read this book and understand it as well as you have.
I grew up in a concrete jungle in Melbourne but love camping, but I just thought if you were offering I will take both the hug and the chocolate! he,he!
Again thank you! :-)

Deborah Biancotti Amanda wrote: "...but I just thought if you were offering I will take both the hug and the chocolate! he,he!"

Amanda Jane LOL! And we shall embrace as sisters. And consume chocolate like little kids. ;p Thanks, Amanda!

You are very welcome! Attitudes like this would certainly make this world a better place...which we desperately are in need of especially in these times! :-)

message 7: by MF (new) - rated it 3 stars

MF Irony: Toronto public library has this book but none of her novels.