Michael's Reviews > A Clash of Kings

A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin

Aug 30, 12

Read from July 07 to August 30, 2012

Yes - it is a fantasy book but at the same time it is a medieval book with a bit of magic (not to much though) and most important it is a book about politics, intrigues and clever moves. I enjoyed the many parallel story lines and the various viewpoints. Regarding to the parallel story lines the different perspectives and impressions during the big battle at Kings Landing was the best part for me.

As always some characters one likes more than others. My favorite is Tyrion who is making is clever moves with all possible tricks. His most precious capability: knowing and reading peoples minds and intentions (no magic involved just having a good intuition for how people react in certain situations). Even though no one likes him - especially none of his family - he is just to people not meaning any harm to him even if they are on the 'wrong' side (Sansa for instance). I like that personality.

Tip: Don't look the TV season before having read the book. The book is providing much more insights about why the tings are happening. In the TV season this is not always obvious.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Clash of Kings.

08/19/2012 page 517
68.0% "This second book is almost better than the first one. The characters are growing and getting richer as one participates in their thoughts. Tyrion is my favorite character. Even though he is not on the 'good' side if there is such thing. He has arranged himself with his physical disadvantages and almost always get want he want with sly turns."
show 1 hidden update…