Aestas Book Blog's Reviews > Love Unscripted

Apr 24, 2012

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended to Aestas Book Blog by: KarenH
Recommended for: fans of Thoughtless/Effortless

"I don't want anyone else - just you. And no matter where I am, wherever I go, you're the only one who is holding my heart." ~Ryan

I was told that this book was basically "like Thoughtless minus Denny" and boy were they freaking RIGHT!! For those of you who were also fans of Thoughtless, remember those heart racing moments where you just had to keep turning the pages and probably couldn't stop even if you wanted to?? Well oh boy does this book have you doing that too! I swear I barely blinked for the final 25%.

The story is told from the perspective of Taryn Mitchell, the owner of a bar in a small town which is being used to shoot the next major huge Hollywood movie. Starring in this movie is the world's biggest, hottest, most coveted celebrity actor Ryan Christensen (think RPattz at the height of the Twilight fame except maybe even bigger!!). He is running away from rabid fans one day and ends up in taking refuge in her bar and the rest is history.

I really like how Taryn's character was not infatuated with his movie star persona (she hadn't even seen any of his movies) and how Ryan was such a down to earth, normal guy dealing with uber-mega fame. Both their characters were instantly likable... Ryan is totally adorable! He definitely made the book boyfriend list :)

I loved that their relationship progressed at a believable pace... they had instant attraction but didn't just jump into bed instantly, they flirted, got to know each other, their relationship developed ... it was really fun to read!

Ryan and Taryn were adorable together!! I loved how crazy they were about each other and how hard they both fought to make their relationship work no matter what.

"Gently he rolled me onto my back; his eyes opened and locked onto mine. 'Are you sure? 'cuz I want you more than air right now.'" ~Ryan

I loved that the book dealt with pretty much every situation a couple in their position (big-time romantic hero lead movie star + regular girl) would have to deal with in real life: dealing with tabloids printing lies, being followed by rabid fans, cameras, paparazzi literally everywhere , crazy obsessed stalkers, feelings of jealousy (dealing with him having to kiss hot actresses for his movies), invasion of privacy, the importance of staying grounded and having a close knit family, being able to trust each other, dealing with constant separation (shooting schedules), etc...

"The biggest question in my mind was whether peace and insanity could survive together in harmony."

But what made all of that *points above* bearable was how functional they were as a couple. They talked through their issues. There was very little irrationality in either of their actions. Sure there were misunderstandings and drama but I could definitely understand how those situations arose, and it wasn't out of stupidity.

Thankfully though, there is no cheating in this book. And while it doesn't end with a HEA, you definitely get the idea that they are headed for one. Its not a cliffhanger either, but lets just say, there is a lot more to their story.

I think Ryan sums the story up pretty well:

"...its our crazy story... Its been ours, only ours. There's been a lot of romance, sometimes way too much drama... Very memorable comedy, a few pulse-racing action scenes... We've also had out fair share of suspense and raw terror, and unfortunately gut-wrenching heartache too. But through it all you've loved me, unconditionally, and I know how fortunate I am to have your love..." (the scene goes on to happy mushy stuff which I won't spoil for you lol)

Basically, if you liked Thoughtless, you are almost certainly guaranteed to like this!! And if you haven't read Thoughtless, and you are just a fan of romance, you are almost certain to love this. The characters feel very real, the story is engaging and the love story is utterly adorable :)

Here are some quotes:

Advice from Taryn's best friend (they give the best advice, no?? lol): "You know what I think? I think you should stop all this nonesense and screw the shit out of him until he passes out from exhaustion...you'll have to feed him, of course, to keep his energy level up, but make sure you hide his clothes so he can't get dressed. Men can't run when they're naked."

He started laughing. "How much money do you think I could make from all these women who want to have sex with me?"
"Billions."
"Really? Help me drag a mattress out into the front yard. You can sell lemonade and I'll just fuck people all day!" he cackled."

"Do I have to make a poster and scream Ryan, Ryan?" I kidded.

For more of my reviews, come to http://aestasbookblog.com
Or join http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aestas-...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Unscripted.

Quotes Aestas Book Blog Liked

Tina Reber
“You don't really know how much you miss someone until it's gone.”

Tina Reber
“There's only one thing I need." I placed my hand on his heart. "The rest is just details.”

Tina Reber
“So... am I to understand that you're mine"" I asked teasingly.
"I can be yours if you want me to be, Taryn," he whispered.”

Tina Reber
“We've made a beautiful mess of things lately, haven't we?" He flashed that sexy crooked smile at me, which made my heart flutter.

"But it's our crazy story," "It's been ours, only ours. There's been a lot of romance, sometimes way too much drama..." "very memorable comedy, a few pulse-racing action scenes..."

"We've also had our fair share of suspense and raw terror, and unfortunately gut-wrenching heartache too."

"I think we've covered it all, everything except fo being captured by aliens!"

"But through it all you've loved me unconditionally, and I know how fortunate I am to have your love. I don't want to live without you, not for one more minute, not for one more second. I want to spend the rest of my days living my story with you...only you."

"It is here that I fell in love with you"

"And as fate would have it, it is here that I humbly kneel before you and ask you to be my wife.”

Tina Reber
“Do I have to make a poster and scream Ryan, Ryan?" I kidded.
"The only time I want to hear you scream my name is when I'm making love to you. Although you did call me God the other night. That's acceptable, too.”

Tina Reber
“You know what I think? I think you should stop all this nonesense and screw the shit out of him until he passes out from exhaustion...you'll have to feed him, of course, to keep his energy level up, but make sure you hide his clothes so he can't get dressed. Men can't run when they're naked.”

04/25/2012
3.0% "Awww! Realli liking it so far and reading with a grin on my face - always a good sign :)))"
6.0% "They're adorable!!"
04/25/2012
10.0% "Yup! I see what all the Ryan Christensen fuss is about now.... He's pretty adorable :))"
04/25/2012
18.0% "I really like the pace their relationship is developing at.... It seems very... Realistic :)"
04/25/2012
25.0% ""You know what I think? I think you should stop all this nonesense and screw the shit out of him until he passes out from exhaustion...you'll have to feed him, of course, to keep his energy level up, but make sure you hide his clothes so he can't get dressed. Men can't run when they're naked." ... best friends give the best advice, no?? LOL!" 2 comments
04/25/2012
26.0% ""Gently he rolled me onto my back; his eyes opened and locked onto mine. 'Are you sure? 'cuz I want you more than air right now.'" .. Yup, I'm adding Ryan to my book boyfriend pile :)"
04/25/2012
36.0% "Yup this is another of those addictive books..."
04/25/2012
44.0% "Okay once again it's an ungodly hour of the morning and I've stayed up reading till my eyelids started drooping... I'm done for the night and in love with Ryan - he and Taryn are adorable together. Jaren was right, it IS a lot like Thoughtless minus Denny... can't wait to get back to reading tomorrow :)" 1 comment
54.0% "Oooooo I love Ryan <3" 2 comments
04/26/2012
54.0% ""Do I have to make a poster and scream Ryan, Ryan?" I kidded.

"The only time I want to hear you scream my name is when I'm making love to you. Although you did call me God the other night. That's acceptable, too.""
62.0% "Oh $hit!! *gulp*" 6 comments
04/26/2012
70.0% "hahahah *dying of laughter* omg Ryan's brother is hilarious!!" 4 comments
04/26/2012
71.0% "Taryn: "Ryan... you know damn well you can get any girl you want whenever you want. There are women all around the globe who would pay to have sex with you..."
"Billions."
05/02/2016 marked as: read
show 2 hidden updates…

Aestas Book Blog Is it good??? Does it seem like something I might like?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh yes! I'm now the Aestas book guide! =D I don't really want to say anything negative about it, because it might sour your perceptions. I like Taryn. She's a good solid character. But I think Ryan likes the "wow" factor or the "Shura" factor if you like. ;)

PS. it seems my other comment has disappeared

Aestas Book Blog Huh? I didn't delete anything... :/

Ryan lacks the Shura factor, huh? *sigh* most of them do... Are you liking it though?

If u have a negative comment, have at it... It's not gonna ruin anything. Im happy to know pros and cons...

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I like the premise, but something's off with the characters. They're behaviour and speech can be very unnatural. And the sotry doesn't have a smooth flow or a focus. Does that make sense? And I could definitely put it down. It doesn't grip me.

I'll probably have my review up soon.

message 5: by Aestas Book Blog (last edited Apr 25, 2012 12:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aestas Book Blog Yup. I get what u mean... I'll give it a shot tomorrow. If I don't like it, I have about 7 really highly rated books I'm gonna try next. It's really just a question of choosing genres, they include PNR, CR, HR, and SFR so we'll see. I almost went back to a PNR this time, but I'm gonna try this first and see...

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

SFR? I'm going to read Elizabeth Naughton next. She's brilliant on the steam. =)

message 7: by Aestas Book Blog (last edited Apr 25, 2012 12:35AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aestas Book Blog Haven't heard of her. What kind I books does she write?

SFR is science fiction romance. It's the Obsidian series I keep hearing about. Aliens. But apparently the hero has quite the fan club...not my usual genre but Im curious lol

Natalie i just ordered mine ) ive heard it is a five star read )

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

So far I've only read her romantic suspense ones. The first one I read was the second in a series and it was pretty chaotic but I became an instant fan because her sexual chemistry depictions are some of the best. I'm not embarking on a contemporary of hers. Amnesia-plot.

message 10: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Aestas **aka Crazinneldy** wrote: "Haven't heard of her. What kind I books does she write?

Obsidian is good! Snarky teenage girl moves next door to even snarkier teenage boy - who just happens to be an alien! Very YA (Daemon reminds me a bit of Jace from Mortal Instruments), but a good read, I'm hanging for book 2 to come out later this year.

The Half Blood series by the same author (Jennifer Armentrout) is also good, but very similar to Vampire Academy if you've read that.

Aestas Book Blog AJ wrote: "Aestas **aka Crazinneldy** wrote: "Haven't heard of her. What kind I books does she write?

hmmm... how YA? I've read a lot of them recently and am kind of in the mood for a book with no 'closed doors' if you know what i mean *wink* ...

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Hope you enjoy!! I read this book and loved it! Now I am waiting for the next book. Biting my nails.

Aestas Book Blog I was told it wasnt a cliffhanger... riiiight??

Duchess Nicole I'm anxious to hear what you think. This is another of those that I keep staring at and then passing by. Keep us posted!

Aestas Book Blog LOL okay okay... *goes off to start*

Alexis *Reality Bites* ^^^ I agree this is a rec on my knidle. I can't wait to read ur thoughts on this one.

Abby There's supposedly a book 2 so I'm guessing there is...

Aestas Book Blog ya there is one that should be released any day now... Apparently its complete, just in the editing process :) so it shouldnt be too long a wait

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko There is not a cliffy however so much happens in the end of the book. Some people got bored reading it but I didn't. I fell in love with the characters and the story. I couldn't get enough of the drama. It was a favorite and a 5 star book for me. I really hope you like it.

message 20: by Aestas Book Blog (last edited Apr 25, 2012 10:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aestas Book Blog awesome! well I have a half day off today so I'm curled up on my couch in my husband's clothing (which I stole... shhh), with some yummy snacks, my dog at my feet, and this book loaded on my kindle... = perfect afternoon!!!! <3 I'll keep the updates coming :)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Well enjoy your reading. It sounds like you have the perfect set up. Now if I can just find a book to read I will be doing good. Nothing is appealing to me.

Aestas Book Blog Have you read On the Island  by Tracey Garvis-Graves? It's really really sweet and very different from a lot of other books. Might be a good change of pace? Or If you want something super intense but still a love story, you could try The Bronze Horseman (Tatiana and Alexander, #1) by Paullina Simons and meet Alexander <3

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Neither of those books appeal to me.. I don't know what my problem is. I am wondering if I am ever going to be able to find something to read. Thanks for the recs.

Aestas Book Blog LOL! Oh boy haha I hope you find what you are looking for! I hate book funks :(

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Me too!!! I need to snap out of this book funk. I just feel like there aren't enough books out there with good ratings and reviews in the genre I am interested in reading. There needs to be more!!

Aestas Book Blog I know the feeling! But I'm overwhelmed by my TBR pile as it is. But I always need to find the "right" book to read next. It can never be random and just another good book, it has to fit my mood exactly.

Abby I'm the same way... The book has to fit my mood otherwise I won't like the read... Hence why I didn't like book one of Charley Davidson but LOVED 2 and 3 and why I haven't read LOTU or the Breeds, or started finishing the DH's ...

Aestas Book Blog LotU didn't appeal to me the way a lot of other PNRs did. I guess I'm not as fond of her writing style. And there isn't enough sexy in it. It's not bad, just not on my favs list. I started liking midnight Breeds more after book 3. I felt the first 2 (especially 1) were too similar to BDB for me. But now I really like them. Dark Hunter is my absolute fan though, Kenyon's writing just sucks me right in! And I do love BDB though I haven't read the last 2 yet. They are waiting on my bookshelf tho. Have you read Night Huntress? Bones is quite the drool worthy vamp.

Abby Ugh... Night huntress is my favorite series over any of them.... LOVE me some Bones :D

Aestas Book Blog I still have to read the final book... its also sitting on my bookshelf. Not enough hours in the day! I have to go work for about 5 hours now but I'll be back to reading this book the second I'm home. I'm hooked!

Abby It was soooooo good!!! I think those books are one series of books I'll NEVER tire or get bored with no matter how many she writes lol

Aestas Book Blog I agree! So long as Cat & Bones stay together, I'll read them indefinitely! How was the last book compared to the other books. Just as good?

message 33: by Abby (last edited Apr 25, 2012 01:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abby I found it to be just as good But I know some people that have said they didn't like it and that the series needs to end... I of course disagree though

Aestas Book Blog I disagree too!! I'll never get tired of Cat & Bones *dreamy sigh*

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm glad you liked it! I just found it too sappy and circular. I don't think I'll read the next one.

Natalie great review!! Im soooo exited to start reading this. the hero sounds so Yuuuumie!

message 37: by Aestas Book Blog (last edited Apr 27, 2012 04:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aestas Book Blog thanks guys :) ... its weird... I liked it a lot but I could also see why people didn't like it. Ryan and Taryn just had so much external stuff to deal with - with all the downsides of his job even though the whole book was a romance. At one point I was considering giving it 4.5 stars, because I was just so worried all the time for them but then I decided on 5 cuz it really did keep me hooked, and and feeling strongly for and caring about the characters, and I wasn't kidding that I barely blinked for the last quarter... I SO wanted things to work out. I won't be rereading it, but I loved that I read it this time. And yes, Natalie, the hero is pretty yummy :)

message 38: by Tesa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tesa I may want to read this one. I was hearing that the hero was kind of weak and the story was slow, which was what had been keeping me away. But a few of my GR friends seemed to really like it.

message 39: by Aestas Book Blog (last edited Apr 27, 2012 11:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aestas Book Blog Um well I didn't find him weak. I actually thought he dealt with everything really really well. He was caring and down to earth and protective and funny and sweet... The only thing where I could see someone maybe calling him weak was he got a little freaked out sometime by his rabid fans but given all the things they did, I can't imagine anyone NOT being freaked out a little.
I also didn't find the story slow. Nothing was rushed, everything took a healthy amount of time, no "meeting and jumping straight into bed", everything felt very honest. I liked it. It seemed a more realistic romance because of it. I imagine anyone dating a famous movie star would go through this exact story (providing the couple was as functional and in love).

I think fans of Thoughtless will really like it.

message 40: by Tesa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tesa Diehard fan of Thoughtless, so I'm just going to buy it. Thanks!

Aestas Book Blog Ahahaaa well I hope you enjoy it :))

Dianne Santiago Wow. Great review! I'm reading this soon... And when I saw that you compared it to thoughtless. I liked it already . And also because of minus Denny, well Double Perfect! can't wait to read this.

Aestas Book Blog haha thank you Dianne! It really does have a very similar feeling - and no love triangle! :)
I hope you enjoy it! My hard copy just arrived in the mail and its going on my fav's shelf

Kelly 'Perusing Princesses blog' Brilliant review! I am 43% in at the moment and loving every moment. I'm also a huge Thoughtless/Effortless fan and I agree, this book will definately appeal to those readers.

Aestas Book Blog thank you Kelly! I'm so glad you think so too :) ...it gave me a really similar feeling when I was reading it. Enjoy!

message 46: by Karla (new) - rated it 1 star

Karla Considering I thought Thoughtless was a terrible book, that may explain why I also think this was a terrible book ;)

Aestas Book Blog not every book is for every reader

message 48: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Great review for a great book. God, I can't wait for the sequel! ;)

Aestas Book Blog thank you AJ!! I'm the same! I know I'll be reading it the day it comes out :D

Tammy  Zautner I would love to read this hun, where did you get it from and was it a digital copy?

« previous 1