Alycia's Reviews > Unexpected Pleasures

Unexpected Pleasures by Mary Wine

Jun 12, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance, author-mary-wine
Read in June, 2012

This book had real potential, in the end I just found it mediocre. Enjoyable enough to keep reading, but one that will be forgettable. I loved that this book took place during the end of King Henry VIII reign. His health was rapidly declining, death was eminent. His last wife, Queen Catherine Parr cleared her name and head from the block. All children of Henry's are re-legitimized and court games and intrigue about. This book is supposed to be loosely connected to two other books, but can be read as a stand alone, which is how I read it.

Lady Justina Winscott, Dowager Baroness is a pretty pawn of Viscount Biddeford. A man one will truly hate. Appointed as guardian to Justina's young son, Brandon, the viscount lords threats and her son over her head to do her bidding. Mainly finding out information in any way possible. Resigned to her fate, the idea of her son keeps her sane. During a treacherous moment while visiting Baron Ryppon's Amber Hill she meets a knight, Sir Synclair who intrigues her as no other man has before. Synclair who recently fulfilled his duty as knight sets of to court to pursue Justina. Things do eventually work out for a happily ever after and reuniting this new family together.

As an aside, I loved this beautiful cover, but I am no historical fashion expert. The gown appears to me to look Gerorian and the accessories in the background, including the lamp are definitely not from the Tudor era. I have to say some on the art department for their historical inaccuracies.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unexpected Pleasures.