Nicole's Reviews > Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling

May 07, 12

bookshelves: light, favorite-authors, humor, auto-and-biographical, favorites, read-in-2012, nonfiction
Read from May 05 to 07, 2012

Dear Mindy,

From one creepy, repetitive-iPod-playlist-having lady to another: Please be my friend?

I have been reading lots of YA dystopias lately, as well as a book about the Secret Annex and a nonfiction one about introversion. It's been a month of very heavy reading material. I've been on the library waiting list to read your book for weeks, and when it finally came in on Friday I eagerly picked it up and welcomed the chance to have a quick, humorous read about something other than psychology and death and destruction. I was ready to laugh, dammit!

You didn't let me down.

I loved the format of your book. Many of the essays were short and quick; all of them made me laugh out loud. I liked how you got autobiographical but not overly so; it was more details about your comedy background and the core people in your life than what you had for breakfast in 1992. And even though The Office is a huge part of your life, the book wasn't an Office tell-all, and that's perfect. You respected everyone's personal lives while bolstering my belief that Steve Carell is a wonderful human. And the fact that you have exercise revenge fantasies makes me feel less alone in the world. (Mine aren't really fantasies I have during workouts so much as fantasies I have explaining why I have to work out. Like, I'm training to become an international spy and retrieve my kidnapped child and that is why I have to jog two miles today. I might have to try your method, though.)

All that said, you seem like you'd be a pretty amazing friend to have. We could go out to parties (because we have to put in an appearance, or whatever) and come up with covers for dual Irish exits, and then go back to yours or mine and just sit on the couch and watch TV (but never roasts!) and eat ice cream and talk about Colin Firth and Bradley Cooper. I promise not to borrow any of your clothes until you've worn them at least once, and I never leave towels on the floor because I hate when they don't air out properly.

Finally, a business proposition: I've spent much of my life either chubby or outright overweight, and I don't have stylists but I do have misguided friends and relatives who have tried to dress me in many of the items you listed as looking horrific on you, an average-sized woman (cap sleeves! Caaaaaap sleeeeeeves!). So even if we can't be friends, maybe we can team up to have those items obliterated from the face of the planet? Call me.

Your friend, maybe,
Nicole

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?.

05/05/2012 page 4
2.0% ""For instance, they say the best revenge is living well. I said it's acid in the face--who will love them now?""
05/06/2012 page 85
38.0% "I love the Best Friends Rights and Responsibilities. Especially "I will try to like your boyfriend five times.""
05/06/2012 page 133
60.0% "I feel the EXACT SAME WAY about roasts, Mindy!"
05/07/2012 page 171
77.0% ""All women love Colin Firth: Mr. Darcy, Mark Darcy, George VI--at this point he could play the Craigslist Killer and people would be like, 'Oh my God, the Craigslist Killer has the most boyish smile!'""
05/07/2012 page 198
89.0% ""You might also see that some of my playlists are simply two songs on repeat fifteen times, like I'm a psycho getting pumped up to murder the president." <-- I do this."