Nicole's Reviews > An Uncommon Education

An Uncommon Education by Elizabeth Percer

Jun 13, 2012

it was ok
Recommended for: quiet, awkward girls
Read in June, 2012

A interesting premise, but an uneven presentation. I'm not sure if this is due to the writer's inexperience or intentional "right now she awkward, right now she's fine, right now she's transitioning" character development. I'd guess the former. Either way, it wasn't a smooth read.

I found the book difficult to get into, though there was something charming about this little girl with elderly sensibilities. Her descriptions of her parents were fascinating and well-crafted, I thought, though the story itself was disjointed and awkward. (Oh wait, I already made that point...it's worth restating.) Same goes for college aged Naomi. Her descriptions and interactions with strangers on campus and the Wellesley campus itself were striking in their preciseness, but the actual character development and plot lines lurched all over the place.

Let me put it this way: I copied down a handfull of lovely quotes, but I won't remember this book a year from now and my recommendation is only lukewarm. The bright spots were just too few and far between.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Uncommon Education.