Julia's Reviews > Unnatural Exposure

Unnatural Exposure by Patricia Cornwell

Apr 24, 12

Read on April 24, 2012, read count: 2

I read this one in one day, because once the first pox victim showed up, I realized I had read this one before.

The beginning of the book focuses on the hunt for a serial killer who dismembers his victims. This killer has been working both in Ireland and in the United States. Dr. Scarpetta has been looking at the evidence from both the countries. About half way through the book, a new victim shows up who has been dismembered, but not quite in the same way, and also with possible small pox lesions on her body. This leads to the question of a copycat killer, or has the original killer changed his m.o.?

I guess I am not quite clear on if the same person was doing all the killings, or if the small pox victims were killed by one person, and the original dismembered victims killed by another. By the end of the book, when the killer is caught, I understand the reasoning for the small pox killings. But why all the previous dismemberments? That wasn't super clear to me.

Even with some plot flaws, I enjoyed this book very much. Biomedical terrorism is a very scary subject, and it is easy to imagine it happening now. The pace of the book was brisk, and the story was compelling. This is one of the best Sarpetta books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unnatural Exposure.